Twenty-two historic artifacts that were looted following the Battle of Okinawa in World War II have been returned to Japan after a family from Massachusetts discovered them in their late father’s personal items. The FBI said Friday that the artifacts date back to the 18th and 19th centuries and represent a significant piece of Okinawan history.
This photo provided by the FBI shows one of among 22 historic artifacts that were looted following the Battle of Okinawa in World War II and recovered after a family from Massachusetts discovered them as they were going through their late father’s personal items. The FBI said Friday, March 15, 2024, that they have helped orchestrate the return of the artifacts to the Government of Japan, Okinawa Prefecture.
The Boston division of the FBI said they helped orchestrate the return of the items, which had been missing for almost 80 years to the government of Japan, Okinawa prefecture. A formal repatriation ceremony will be held in Japan at a later date. The artifacts were discovered when a family, who wishes to remain anonymous, came across what appeared to be valuable Asian art in their late father’s personal effects, according the FBI.FBI offers $15,000 reward in case of missing Wisconsin boy