Jurors deciding whether to hold the state of New Hampshire accountable for alleged abuse at a youth detention center are hearing from a former resident who says his house leader and another staffer restrained him while two others sexually assaulted him in a stairwell decades ago.
FILE- Mike Gilpatrick, who as a teenager was incarcerated at the Youth Development Center, poses on the front steps of his home, Wednesday, Sept. 8, 2021, in Nashua, N.H. Gilpatrick testified Tuesday in the first civil trial seeking to hold the state of New Hampshire accountable for alleged abuse at its youth detention center. BRENTWOOD, N.H.
Meehan’s lawyers displayed police booking photos Tuesday of the so-called “hit squad” alongside a photo taken of Gilpatrick when he arrived at the center at age 14. Gilpatrick testified that he ended up at the center after running away from multiple group homes, committing a burglary and stealing food to survive on the street. The sexual assault on the stairwell happened after he ran away while on a furlough, he said. He had already spent several days locked in his empty room wearing only his underwear when the workers brought him to the house leader’s office and then the stairwell, he said.“He was a very bad man,” he said.
Assault Crime General News NH State Wire MA State Wire Prisons Business A Chris Sununu Juvenile Corrections U.S. News N U.S. News
United Kingdom Latest News, United Kingdom Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
New Hampshire Senate passes bill to expand scope of youth detention center victim settlementsNew Hampshire is moving toward greatly expanding the scope of its out-of-court settlement process to compensate victims of abuse at the state's youth detention center.
Read more »
New Hampshire's State-Run Youth Detention Center Faces Lawsuit for Decades of AbuseFormer residents of New Hampshire's state-run youth detention center have filed a lawsuit against the state, accusing it of covering up decades of sexual, physical, and emotional abuse. The first lawsuit, filed four years ago, is going to trial this week.
Read more »
New Hampshire youth center faces nearly 1,200 lawsuits for abuse, rapeEleven former state workers face criminal charges, and dozens more are accused in the lawsuits that former residents have filed against the state.
Read more »
First of nearly 1,200 lawsuits against New Hampshire youth detention center set for trialDavid Meehan's case is the first of over 1,000 in an unprecedented criminal investigation into physical and sexual abuse at New Hampshire's state-run youth detention center.
Read more »
New Hampshire youth detention center treated teen like sex slave, punching bag, lawyer allWorkers at New Hampshire's youth detention center treated a teenage boy like a 'sex slave and a punching bag,' an attorney said.
Read more »
Lawsuit Alleges Abuse at New Hampshire Youth Detention CenterThe first trial begins for over 1,000 lawsuits accusing New Hampshire's youth detention center of sexual, physical, and emotional abuse. The lead plaintiff, David Meehan, claims he was treated as a 'sex slave and a punching bag' during his time at the facility.
Read more »