The B.C. Coroners Service says 127 people fatally overdosed on illicit drugs in September.
The service says 70 per cent of the fatalities this year have been among those aged 30 to 59 and most of the dead have been men.
Fatal overdoses began declining in B.C. at the beginning of the year, with 79 fatalities recorded in January, but started rising in March as the COVID-19 pandemic hit. An average of 179 people died of an overdose each month in May, June and July, raising alarms among health officials about the dual emergency of a pandemic and an overdose crisis.
Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry issued an order last month allowing registered nurses and registered psychiatric nurses to prescribe safer drugs for those at risk of an overdose.
United Kingdom Latest News, United Kingdom Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
'We are in our 2nd wave,' B.C.'s top doctor says as province records 499 more COVID-19 cases from weekendIn the first COVID-19 update of the week, B.C.'s top doctor revealed the province added another 499 cases of the disease to its overall tally.
Read more »
Five people found unconscious from overdoses when Surrey, B.C. police responded to a reported gas leakAlthough everyone survived, the person who called for help told operators there was a gas leak, and did not specify that people were overdosing from drugs.
Read more »
Video call gaffes dominate B.C.'s pandemic election controversiesWith campaigning moving online during B.C.’s pandemic election, video calls have played a prominent role, causing stumbles by candidates of many stripes.
Read more »
Fraser Health declares COVID-19 outbreaks at Surrey, B.C. beef processor and 2 care homesHealth officials have declared an outbreak of COVID-19 at a beef processing plant in Surrey, B.C. after 13 employees there tested positive for the coronavirus.
Read more »
B.C. Election 2020: Horgan stands by Cullen following insensitive commentsB.C. NDP Leader John Horgan maintained his support for Nathan Cullen on Monday, after Cullen came under fire for insensitive comments about a Haida candidate over the weekend.
Read more »