Trump’s $175 million bond is secured by his cash, according to the company backing an arrangment that allows Trump to appeal a massive civil fraud judgment.
Representatives for the firm that posted a $175 million bond for Donald Trump pushed back against objections raised by New York’s attorney general, saying in a court filing late Monday that the deal is “adequately secured” by the former president’s cash.
New York Attorney General Letitia James on April 4 raised concerns about the arrangement, including whether Knight Specialty Insurance Company, whose owner isKnight and Trump’s representatives said in the new filing that the bond is backed by Trump’s Charles Schwab brokerage account, which has just over $175 million in cash. The filing also argues that Knight is properly licensed, including a statement from New York’s former superintendent of insurance, Gregory V.
“It continues to raise serious questions about whether this bond actually secures the attorney general’s judgment,” Pollock said. “Justice Engoron is clearly going to hold a detailed hearing to examine the issue.” Hankey said that he believed the court filing should resolve James’s concerns. He has said he got involved only after other bond companies declined to work with Trump, whose attorneys said other firms turned them down when they initially needed to secure a bond for more than $450 million — a sum that was later reduced.“It is too bad that 20 large New York insurance companies all decided not to supply this bond,” Hankey said.
United Kingdom Latest News, United Kingdom Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
New York Attorney General Questions Surety Company Covering Trump's $175 Million BondNew York Attorney General Letitia James is questioning whether the surety company covering former President Donald Trump’s $175 million bond is capable of fulfilling its obligation.
Read more »
Donald Trump Could Be 'In World Of Hurt' Over Bond IssueTrump's insurance company has to come up with a $175 million bond by Monday.
Read more »
Trump New York fraud bond cut to $175 million in appeal from $454 millionFormer President Donald Trump earlier had complained he could not obtain a $454 million appeal bond for a New York civil fraud case judgment.
Read more »
Trump wins partial stay of fraud judgment, allowed to post $175 millionAn appeals court significantly lowered the amount of money Trump must put up as he appeals a civil fraud judgment from last month..
Read more »
Trump civil fraud judgement delayed, reduced to $175 million by appeals courtA New York appeals court reduced former President Donald Trump's civil fraud judgment to $175 million and granted a ten-day delay to pay the reduced bond.
Read more »
Appeals court has lowered Trump's bond in civil fraud case to $175 millionA New York appeals court has reduced the amount former President Trump must post as bond from nearly half a billion dollars to $175 million and gave him 10 more days to post it.
Read more »