Education Department to open investigation into Nex Benedict's Oklahoma school district

United Kingdom News News

Education Department to open investigation into Nex Benedict's Oklahoma school district
United Kingdom Latest News,United Kingdom Headlines
  • 📰 NBCNews
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 22 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 12%
  • Publisher: 86%

Reporter, NBC OUT

The Department of Education is opening an investigation into whether the Oklahoma school district where the late 16-year-old transgender student Nex Benedict attended high school failed to appropriately respond to sex-based harassment, according to a letter obtained by NBC News on Friday. The letter was addressed to the Human Rights Campaign, the country's largest LGBTQ rights group, which had filed a complaint with the department following Benedict's Feb. 8 death.

“Your complaint alleges that the District discriminated against students by failing to respond appropriately to sex-based harassment, of which it had notice, at Owasso High School during the 2023-2024 school year.' Mines added that the department will be investigating whether the district failed to appropriately respond to alleged harassment of students 'in a manner consistent with the requirements of Title IX.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

NBCNews /  🏆 10. in US

United Kingdom Latest News, United Kingdom Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Nex Benedict: Everything We Know About 16-Year-Old Oklahoma Student’s DeathNex Benedict: Everything We Know About 16-Year-Old Oklahoma Student’s DeathNex Benedict, a straight-A student, a Minecraft fan, and animal lover, was 16.
Read more »

Students walk out over nonbinary student Nex Benedict's death, anti-LGBTQ bullying in OklahomaStudents walk out over nonbinary student Nex Benedict's death, anti-LGBTQ bullying in OklahomaNex Benedict's mother said they experienced bullying at the high school.
Read more »

Rochester's LGBTQ+ community honors life of Nex Benedict, calls for changeRochester's LGBTQ+ community honors life of Nex Benedict, calls for changeSeveral people met in front of Rochester City Hall Monday night to honor the life of a non-binary Oklahoma teen who died earlier this month.
Read more »

Students Walk Out Of Oklahoma High School To Protest Nex Benedict’s DeathStudents Walk Out Of Oklahoma High School To Protest Nex Benedict’s DeathDozens of students at Owasso High said that they believe the school has not responded adequately to the 16-year-old's death and that a culture of bullying persists.
Read more »

Nonbinary Teenager Dies After Brawl at Oklahoma High SchoolNonbinary Teenager Dies After Brawl at Oklahoma High SchoolThe details of the death of a nonbinary teenager, 16-year-old Nex Benedict, continue to emerge. Benedict's mother is heard using use pronouns inconsistent with the Benedict's identity. Nex Benedict died on February 8 in Owasso, Oklahoma after being hospitalized the day before following a brawl with fellow students.
Read more »

Five people charged with defrauding the Arizona ESA programFive people charged with defrauding the Arizona ESA programThree of the five charged are former employees of the Department of Education
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-03 15:52:35