Francis Ford Coppola to premiere self-financed epic 'Megalopolis' at Cannes Film Festival

Entertainment News

Francis Ford Coppola to premiere self-financed epic 'Megalopolis' at Cannes Film Festival
Francis Ford CoppolaCannes Film FestivalPremiere
  • 📰 KPRC2
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 74 sec. here
  • 12 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 64%
  • Publisher: 68%

Nearly half a century after winning the Palme d'Or, Francis Ford Coppola will return to the Cannes Film Festival to premiere his self-financed epic 'Megalopolis'. The premiere was confirmed by a person close to the project. Cannes chief Thierry Fremaux is set to announce the competition lineup on Thursday.

FILE - Francis Ford Coppola arrives at the Oscars on Sunday, March 27, 2022, at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles. Nearly half a century after Francis Ford Coppola won the Cannes Film Festival 's Palme d'Or, he will return to the French Riviera festival on May 17, 2024, to premiere his self-financed epic Megalopolis . won the Cannes Film Festival 's Palme d'Or, he will return to the French Riviera festival to premiere his self-financed epic “ Megalopolis .

The premiere was confirmed to The Associated Press on Tuesday by a person close to the project who requested anonymity because they weren't authorized to make the announcement. Hollywood trade DeadlineThe French film festival didn't immediately respond to messages Tuesday. Cannes chief Thierry Fremaux is set to announce the competition lineup Thursday in Paris. Fremaux last week told Variety that he hoped to program “Megalopolis” at this year’s festival.

"‘Megalopolis’ is a project that he wanted to achieve for so long and he did it independently, in his own way, as an artist,” Fremaux said. “He built the legend of the Cannes Film Festival and it would be an honor to welcome him back, as a filmmaker who comes to present his new film.” That “Megalopolis” is to screen in competition means the 85-year-old Coppola will be eligible for Cannes' Palme d'Or 45 years after he won it for “Apocalypse Now.” Coppola split the Palme that year with Volker Schlöndorff's “Die Blechtrommel," but he won Cannes' top prize outright 50 years ago, for “The Conversation.”

In recent weeks, Coppola has screened “Megalopolis” for friends and family and begun shopping it to distributors. The project, which he first began conceiving in the early 1980s, cost a reported $120 million to make. Coppola put up his money with the help of his wine empire to realize a passion project about the rebuilding of a metropolis.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

KPRC2 /  🏆 80. in US

Francis Ford Coppola Cannes Film Festival Premiere Self-Financed Epic Megalopolis Palme D'or Thierry Fremaux Competition Lineup

United Kingdom Latest News, United Kingdom Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Megalopolis Star Teases 'Undefinable' Francis Ford Coppola MovieMegalopolis Star Teases 'Undefinable' Francis Ford Coppola MovieAdam Driver previews Coppola's ambitious new movie.
Read more »

Francis Ford Coppola Is Already Working on His Next FilmFrancis Ford Coppola Is Already Working on His Next FilmShrishty is a decade-old journalist covering a variety of beats between politics to pop culture, but movies are her first love, which led her to study Film and TV Development at UCLAx. She lives and breathes cinema and sometimes wakes up with the close-up shot of Ryan Gosling&039;s hands playing piano in La La Land, in her head.
Read more »

Megalopolis Won’t Be Francis Ford Coppola’s Last MovieMegalopolis Won’t Be Francis Ford Coppola’s Last MovieThe Godfather director Francis Ford Coppola says he intends to make another movie after Megalopolis, which stars Adam Driver.
Read more »

Francis Ford Coppola has at least one more film in him after MegalopolisFrancis Ford Coppola has at least one more film in him after MegalopolisThe Apocalypse Now director's upcoming, self-funded epic is currently seeking distribution
Read more »

10 Best Francis Ford Coppola Villains, Ranked10 Best Francis Ford Coppola Villains, RankedJeremy is an omnivore when it comes to his movie-watching diet. He&039;ll gladly watch and write about almost anything, from old Godzilla films to gangster flicks to samurai movies to classic musicals to the French New Wave to the MCU... well, maybe not the Disney+ shows.
Read more »

This Francis Ford Coppola Thriller Captured '70s Paranoia at Its PeakThis Francis Ford Coppola Thriller Captured '70s Paranoia at Its PeakThomas Butt is a senior writer at Collider who focuses on classic movies.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-04 04:48:50