A 'person of interest' is in NYPD custody in connection with the sucker punch attack on Steve Buscemi in Manhattan, New York, last week, police say.
A 'person of interest' is in custody in connection with a sucker punch attack that injured actor Steve Buschemi on Third Avenue in Manhattan last week, according to the NYPD. The 66-year-old former 'Boardwalk Empire' and 'Sopranos' star suffered a black eye and bleeding in the May 8 ambush, police said. They previously identified 50-year-old Clifton Williams as a suspect in the case but declined to confirm he was the one arrested Friday.
Steve Buscemi was assaulted in midtown Manhattan, another victim of a random act of violence in the city,' a spokesperson for the actor told Fox News Digital earlier. 'He is ok and appreciates everyone’s well wishes, though incredibly sad for everyone that this has happened to while also walking the streets of NY.' The attack took place around noon on May 8. A man in blue walked up and punched him in the face, leaving the actor with swelling and bleeding in his left eye.
Witnesses told ABC's New York affiliate that Buscemi, a former firefighter who visited Ground Zero in the wake of 9/11 to volunteer alongside his former battalion, chased after his attacker following the surprise attack. Police released surveillance images showing Williams in a blue shirt and sweatpants, carrying a backpack near the scene of the crime.
In March, another 'Boardwalk' star, Michael Stulhbarg, was also attacked at random in Manhattan. Someone threw a rock at him from behind. He detained his own assailant until the NYPD arrived in that case.
United Kingdom Latest News, United Kingdom Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Alleged Steve Buscemi NYC attacker in custodySteve Buscemi of 'Boardwalk Empire' wasn't badly hurt in the NYC attack.
Read more »
New details revealed about suspect wanted in Steve Buscemi NYC sucker-punch attackSteve Buscemi of 'Boardwalk Empire' was treated for bruising, swelling and bleeding after allegedly being punched while on a street in Kips Bay. Here's the…
Read more »
Suspect wanted in Steve Buscemi NYC sucker-punch identifiedMyles Miller is a reporter for NBC New York.
Read more »
Steve Buscemi punched in NYC: Photo shows alleged attacker, sources sayPolice sources told FOX 5 NY they identified a person of interest in the attack on actor Steve Buscemi.
Read more »
Steve Buscemi Has Black Eye After Random Attack in NYCSteve Buscemi is still healing after getting randomly attacked in New York last week -- the remnants of which are still visible ... including a black eye.
Read more »
Steve Buscemi OK after being punched in face in NYC'Boardwalk Empire' alum Steve Buscemi is OK after being punched in the face in New York City last week, the actor's rep confirmed.
Read more »