The attack on a Moscow concert hall in which armed men opened fire and set the building ablaze, killing at least 133 people, was the latest in a long series of bombings and sieges that have unsettled and outraged Russians during Vladimir Putin’s nearly quarter-century as either prime minister or president.
FILE - A local resident passes the apartment building destroyed the day before, by an explosion in Moscow, Friday, Sept. 10, 1999. The attack on a Moscow concert hall in which armed men opened fire and set the building ablaze, killing over 130 people, was the latest in a long series of bombings and sieges that have unsettled and outraged Russians during Vladimir Putins nearly quarter-century as either prime minister or president.
The security service later claimed it had been conducting a drill and the sacks contained harmless material. But by then, Putin had used the incident to justify launching an air assault on the Chechen capital, beginning the second full-scale war in the region.About 40 Chechen militants on Oct. 23, 2002 stormed a Moscow theater where a popular musical was underway, taking some 850 people hostage and planting explosives in the auditorium.
Two days later, a severe explosion shook the building and Russian forces rushed in. When the fighting was over, 334 civilians were dead or fatally wounded, more than half of them children, along with 31 attackers.Russia's subways, with large numbers of people in restricted spaces, were frequent targets.
United Kingdom Latest News, United Kingdom Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Death toll from Moscow concert hall attack rises to 133 as Putin addresses the nationThe Russian president described the violent shooting as 'a bloody, barbaric terrorist act' after a group linked to the Islamic State claimed responsibility for the event.
Read more »
Death toll rises to 133 in Moscow terror attack, 11 suspects arrestedEleven people have been arrested in relation to Friday’s terror attack in Moscow, Russia, that left 115 people dead.
Read more »
Death toll rises to 133 in Moscow terror attack, 11 suspects arrestedEleven people have been arrested in relation to Friday’s terror attack in Moscow, Russia, that left more than 100 people dead.
Read more »
Death toll from attack on Moscow concert hall reaches 133, Russia saysRussia says the death toll in the Moscow concert attack rose to 133. Islamic State claims responsibility, yet Putin accuses Ukraine of involvement.
Read more »
Live updates: Death toll in Moscow concert hall shooting climbs to 133Russian President Vladimir Putin has announced March 24 as a day of national mourning.
Read more »
Death toll from attack on Moscow concert hall reaches 133Russia's top state investigative agency says the death toll in the Moscow concert hall attack has risen to 133. The attack Friday on a sprawling mall and concert venue left many wounded.
Read more »