The ruling comes on the last day of a 30-day grace period Attorney General Tish James granted Trump before she said she would begin to collect on the judgment.
Former President Donald Trump, left, awaits the start of a pre-trial hearing with his defense team at Manhattan criminal, Monday, March 25, 2024, in New York. | Mary Altaffer/APA panel of state appeals judges gave Donald Trump a significant reprieve Monday by lowering the amount of the bond he must post to stop enforcement of a $454 million civil judgment for corporate fraud.
Trump can post a bond of just $175 million while he appeals the verdict, the five-judge panel ruled in aThe ruling comes on the last day of a 30-day grace period Attorney General Tish James granted Trump before she said she would begin to collect on the judgment, which could involve seizing his assets.
In court filings, Trump had proposed filing a $100 million bond and said he had been rejected by 30 insurance companies for a bond in the full amount of the judgment. The panel gave Trump and the other defendants — which include his adult sons and several business associates — 10 days to post the $175 million bond. Collectively, the defendants owe a judgment of $464 million.
United Kingdom Latest News, United Kingdom Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Trump May Not Pay $454M Bond, Let Trump Tower Be SeizedFormer President Donald Trump may let New York Attorney General Letitia James seize his iconic Trump Tower and other assets to satisfy the $454 million civil fraud judgment against him.
Read more »
Trump lawyers argue posting $454M bond in civil fraud judgement 'not possible'With interest, Trump owes $456.8 million.
Read more »
Trump fails to get appeal bond for $454M civil fraud judgment, lawyers sayDonald Trump has so far been unable to obtain a bond that would allow him to appeal a $454 million judgment against the former president in a New York civil fraud case without posting the full amount himself, his lawyers said on Monday.
Read more »
Impossible for Trump to Post Bond Covering $454M Civil Fraud Judgment: LawyersSource of breaking news and analysis, insightful commentary and original reporting, curated and written specifically for the new generation of independent and conservative thinkers.
Read more »
Court to block collection of Trump's $454M civil fraud judgment if he puts up $175MA New York appeals court on Monday agreed to hold off collection of former President Donald Trump's $454 million civil fraud judgment — if he puts up $175 million within 10 days.
Read more »
Thirty insurance firms reject Trump's bond bid in $454M fraud caseDonald Trump approached 30 insurers via four brokers to underwrite his nearly half-billion dollar bond in a civil fraud case, but ex-US president has been rejected at each turn, his attorneys says in court filing.
Read more »