This year's edition of the Balikatan exercise, the largest yet, is taking place near two Asia-Pacific hotspots.
More than 16,000 troops will take part in the U.S.'s largest military exercise with the Philippines as tensions simmer between the U.S. ally and neighboring China.The 39th edition of Balikatan, or 'shoulder to shoulder' in Tagalog, kicked off on Monday and will be held around Palawan and Batanes, two Philippine provinces near South China Sea hotspots and China-claimed Taiwan.Under the administration of President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.
' He also warned the Philippines there would be 'serious consequences of pandering to the United States.'On Sunday, the day before Balikatan began, Stanford University-affiliated SeaLight initiative published data to X showing two vessels belonging to China's paramilitary Maritime Militia just beyond Palawan's 24-nautical-mile contiguous zone.'Very odd behavior.
United Kingdom Latest News, United Kingdom Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
China Accused of Major Cyber Hack on NATO AllyThe U.K. Electoral Commission's systems were likely compromised by a Chinese state-affiliated entity between 2021 and 2022.
Read more »
Live blog: US approves new military aid for ally IsraelIsrael's war on besieged Palestinians of Gaza — now in its 197th day — has killed at least 34,049 people and wounded over 76,901 as US reportedly mulls over $1B weapons deal for ally Israel.
Read more »
US Ally Triples Intercepts of Chinese and Russian Military AircraftJapan said its Air Self-Defense Force jets were scrambled 70 times last month, mostly due to Chinese and Russian military aircraft.
Read more »
Hungary’s Orban, a long-time Trump ally, rocked by major scandals ahead of European electionsHungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban has run into political trouble ahead of European parliamentary elections in June.
Read more »
US Military Will Begin Plans to Withdraw Troops from NigerThe United States will begin plans to withdraw troops from Niger, U.S. officials said Saturday, in what experts say is a blow to Washington and its allies in the region in terms of staging security operations in the Sahel.
Read more »
The US Military Will Begin Plans to Withdraw Troops from NigerThe United States will begin plans to withdraw troops from Niger, U.S. officials said Saturday, in what experts say is a blow to Washington and its allies in the region in terms of staging security operations in the Sahel. The planned departure comes as U.S. officials said...
Read more »