Survivors of church sexual abuse hung ribbons on the gates of St Mary’s ahead of the funeral service tomorrow, but security guards tried to remove them.
About 20 protesters tied ribbons on the cathedral, which were allowed to remain after a dispute with security.
Those outside the church had their own, different, moment of quiet. Survivors of sexual abuse in the church from Sydney, Newcastle and Ballarat spent the morning tying ribbons to the fence of the church in an act of remembrance of the lives lost and hurt by clerical abuse. Security officials said they were acting under the order of the cathedral’s general manager, who had told them to remove them. But as soon as they had been removed, protesters added more. After discussions between security, police and protesters, the ribbons were allowed to stay.
United Kingdom Latest News, United Kingdom Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Silent protests, mourning as George Pell’s body lies in stateSurvivors of church sexual abuse hung ribbons on the gates of St Mary’s ahead of the funeral service tomorrow, but security guards tried to remove them.
Read more »
Ribbons for sex abuse survivors make statement at Perth church ahead of Cardinal Pell funeralSurvivors of child sexual abuse and supporters hung ribbons on the fence of a Perth church to show solidarity ahead of Cardinal George Pell's funeral.
Read more »
Police seek court order to stop LGBTQ+ protesters marching outside George Pell’s funeralCampaign group says police stance is baffling and they are not planning to disrupt the requiem mass being held at St Mary’s Cathedral in Sydney
Read more »
NSW Police to block LGBTQ+ protesters from George Pell's funeral serviceLGBTQ+ activists had planned to march outside of St Mary&x27;s Cathedral in Sydney on Thursday, but police will attempt to stop them citing "safety" concerns.
Read more »
NSW Police seeks court order to stop LGBTIQ+ protest on day of George Pell's funeralNSW Police said 'safety concerns' prompted its decision to apply for a court order to block a LGBTIQ+ protest on the day of the late cardinal's Sydney funeral.
Read more »
Controversial Republican George Santos says he will not serve on House committees – liveNew York congressman who made up elements of his life story to step aside pending campaign and personal financial investigations
Read more »